Eclipse is an excellent IDE, however some of its preferences may not be that straight-forward.
On one of my recent Java projects I had to work with a character encoding other than the default ANSI encoding.
Thus, I managed to set up the database connection properly to use the required UTF-8 encoding, as well as handle the returned data correctly as UTF-8 in the Java code.
When I tried to output some of the data, for logging purposes, in the console, the output couldn’t not be read correctly. The first thought was to double-check the source code, connection properties etc, and despite the fact that everything looked just fine, the console output still was unreadable.
After spending some time trying to find a relevant option in Eclipse, I stumbled upon the “Common” tab in the Configurations panel. And indeed this is where I found the answer to the encoding problem!
Here is what you have got to do if you are having a similar issue:
(Current setup is Eclipse Galileo – 3.5 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard)
Go to Run -> Run Configurations…
Create or select an existing configuration for your project, and switch to the “Common” tab.