It all started when I performed a Windows XP repair installation, on a developer machine, at work.
Although the SQL Server Browser service was working fine, the SQL Server service could not be started.
I have been getting the error 3417 (SQL Server service terminated with service-specific error 3417…).
There was also a reference to the mastlog.ldf file, which is the Master’s database log file.
The database files usually reside on a folder like “C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data”. Therefore I checked that the master.mdf and mastlog.ldf were present.
I did a quick search on Google, and not surprisingly, other people had the same problem.
One of the suggested solutions did work, and it was easier than expected.
All I had to do, was to add on the “Data” folder (mentioned above) security/permission settings, the “NETWORK SERVICE” account.