iPhone 1.1.1 – Here is the question… to update or not to update?
Currently the users who have unlocked their iPhones, should not apply the 1.1.1 update, as their device will probably become inoperable.
Here is Apple’s message upon installation of the update:
“WARNING: Apple has discovered that some of the unauthorized unlocking programs available on the Internet may cause irreparable damage to the iPhone’s software. If you have modified your iPhone’s software, applying this software update may result in your iPhone becoming permanently inoperable.”
According to Mac Rumors, even users who haven’t unlocked their iPhones, but had installed 3rd party applications, had their iPhone reverted back to the Apple’s original applications.
Also Engadget says that “iPhone SimFree-unlocked iPhones require AT&T SIM to reactivate”.
Here is what the legitimate users will gain from the update:
– iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store
– Louder speakerphone and receiver volume
– Home Button double-click shortcut to phone favorites or music controls
– Space bar double-tap shortcut to intelligently insert period and space
– Mail attachments are viewable in portrait and landscape
– Stocks and cities in Stocks and Weather can be re-ordered
– Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar
– Support for TV Out
– Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally
– New Passcode lock time intervals
– Adjustable alert volume
Finally, here is an official Apple video about the September ’07 iPhone update.